Sunday, April 10, 2011

Boss

I have not been able to post because I have been at work almost all of my waking time! The rest of my time is spent watching The League. However, with all this work, I get overtime pay, and that overtime pay sponsored the following story:

I needed to buy a fancy dress for work, and because I had extra money, I wanted to buy a really nice dress. Months ago, I had seen a lovely, sparkly dress on a mannequin in the window of Hugo Boss in Columbus Circle. I absolutely loved the dress, but assumed (quite correctly) that Hugo Boss fashion is a bit more pricey than I am capable of partaking in. But whatever! Overtime!

I looked through all the Hugo Boss dresses online, and the sparkly one was actually still for sale (and discounted!), and I hoped that it was still available in the one store location that I would bother going to (I am overworked, and don't have time to shop).

After transferring oodles of money from my savings account to my checking account (credit cards are for people who want debt), I walked up to Columbus Circle to buy a bitchin' dress.

I was slightly under-dressed--i had a nice coat on, but was wearing falling-apart Aldo sandals from last spring with chipped nail-polish left over from Valentine's day, but luckily, benevolent Hugo Boss did not Pretty-Woman me. They allowed me to shop.

I browsed through a number of dresses, and believe it or not, the sparkly dress was still available! And in both of my possible sizes!

I tried on the sparkly dress, among others, and it looked AMAZING! And so did another dress....but both dresses were on "sale" (which means that they only cost about 1.5 to 2 times what I would normally spend on a dress), so I decided to get both. A girl can always need 2 dresses.

I was ecstatic as I was checking out. This is literally the first year of my 25-year-long life that I have made and spent my own money (spoiled? yes. But I prefer to consider myself a scholar who my parents generously supported through schooling), and it is exciting and rewarding to spend large sums of money that I made and saved myself. The check-out clerk commented on the sparkly dress, "I love this dress! I bought it with my allowance," she told me. "It's so pretty! I saw it in the window months ago, and was so happy that it was still here!"
talk to me more! I want to relish this moment!

The cashier and I did not become best-ies, but I felt like the million dollars I spent walking out of that store and back underground, to the subway, where I belong.

I was still glowing on my subway ride home and decided to buy a celebratory bottle of wine to drink alone while I watched X-Men II.

At the wine store, I received a phone call.

"Hello, this is Chase Debit Card Fraud Alert."

I assured Chase that yes, It was me who blew a lot of money at Hugo Boss, and they apologized for the inconvenience. I didn't mind the inconvenience of verifying my purchase; I think it is nice that my bank looks out for me. I minded that they made me feel guilty for spending enough money to warrant a fraud alert.

But, like any well-trained girl, I told myself, "You deserve those dresses! Particularity because you look amazing in them!" and when I got home, I went ahead and poured myself a glass of wine.

3 comments:

  1. A perfect shopping trip, I wish I had been there to share it. Now you must post pictures of you in the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious that you got a fraud alert. And I'm glad mom trained you well enough to think you "deserve" it. That is really important for avoiding guilt over spoiling yourself silly. Yay dresses!

    ReplyDelete